The English cast and crew have been announced for Makoto Shinkai’s highly anticipated anime film, your name.
The cast and staff are as follows:
- Michael Sinterniklaas as Taki Tachibana
- Stephanie Sheh as Mitsuha Miyamizu
- Kyle Hebert as Katsuhiko Teshigawara
- Cassandra Lee Morris as Sayaka Natori
- Ben Pronsky as Tsukasa Fujii
- Ray Chase as Shinta Takagi
- Laura Post as Miki Okudera
- Glynis Ellis as Hitoha Miyamizu
- Catie Harvey as Yotsuha Miyamizu
- Scott Williams as Toshiki Miyamizu
- Michelle Ruff as Futaba Miyamizu
- Marc Diraison as Taki’s Father
- H.D. Quinn as Teshigawara’s Father
- Michelle Ruff as Teshigawara’s Mother
- Katy Vaughn as Yukari Yukino
Additional voices include:
Ray Chase, Kevin T. Collins, Marc Diraison, Ben Diskin, Erin Fitzgerald, Paige Fitzgerald, Sri Gordon, Wayne Grayson, Catie Harvey, Kyle Hebert, Eddy Lee, Cherami Leigh, Laura Post, Ben Pronsky, H.D. Quinn, Spencer Rosen, Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld, Michelle Ruff, Erica Schroeder, Kaiji Tang, Maki Terashima-Furuta, and Katy Vaughn.
- ADR Directors: Stephanie Sheh, Michael Sinterniklaas
- Additional ADR Director: Anthony Tortorici
- Casting Director: Stephanie Sheh
- English Script Adapter: Clark Cheng
- Recording engineers: Anthony Tortorici, Michael Schneider
- Production Coordinator: Clark Cheng
- Production Assistant: Anthony Tortorici
- Audio Mixer: Oscar Garcia
- Recording Studio: NYAV Post
Notably, the character of Yukari Yukino, one of the protagonists from Shinkai’s previous film The Garden of Words, appears in a cameo. Her Japanese actress Kana Hanazawa reprised her role for the film. However, her English voice from Garden of Words, Maggie Flecknoe wasn’t able to reprise her role (and was thus replaced by Katy Vaughn) as that dub was recorded in Houston, Texas. Whereas your name’s dub was handled in NYAV Post’s studios in both New York and Los Angeles.
Anime Limited commissioned the dub for their U.K. theatrical release of the film, taking place from November 24, 2016. They’ve previously hired studio NYAV Post to dub some of their film licences including 009 Re:Cyborg, Mai Mai Miracle and Psychic School Wars.
Funimation is licensing the dub for their U.S. theatrical release of the film in early 2017. They will also be running an Oscar-qualifying theatrical run for the film from December 2-8, 2016 at Los Angeles’ Laemmle Music Hall.
Your Name’s English Trailer
The following trailer was also released, previewing the two lead actors voices.
Your Name’s Story
The film’s story revolves around teenagers Mitsuha Miyamizu and Taki Tachibana. Mitsuha is a girl living in the rural countryside while in contrast, Taki is a boy living in the city of Tokyo. Both dealing with their own respective personal problems, they start to dream of each other’s lives. They soon realise they have been swapping bodies while they’ve been sleeping.
Communicating and bonding with each other through diary entries and writing on each other’s bodies, they try to figure out how they got into this situation. All while trying to make sure they don’t mess up each other’s lives.
The film is directed by Makoto Shinkai, who also wrote the script and drew the storyboards at animation studio CoMix Wave Films. Masayoshi Tanaka handles the character designs while Masashi Ando served as the animation director. In addition, the music and insert songs were composed by Japanese rock band RADWIMPS.
So what do you think of the cast and crew? Excited to see this film in English? Do you prefer the Japanese? Or are just glad to see the film’s theatrical release come closer and closer? Let us know below.